If you have known me for any significant amount of time, there are probably a few things you know for sure about me.... and one of those vital facts is that I love to scrapbook! I got into the hobby when I was a freshman in college and have been scrappin' ever since. Yes, I admit it - I am a scrapbook nerd. I love wandering around a scrapbook store… it inspires me! If money were no object my basement would most certainly look like a small scrapbook store. I've had so many fun girls nights out at local scrapbook stores.
However, about 6 years ago, I faced a bit of a halt to my scrapbooking momentum. I had to slow down dramatically because something else was demanding my attention...my first baby. Yep, my hubby and I became parents. I envisioned myself sitting at my kitchen table scrapbooking happily while my baby sat in the bouncy chair or baby swing or toddled cheerfully around the house...that just didn't happen. Before I knew it, I had LOTS of pictures on my computer and a very small amount of time and energy to devote to the craft. Then it happened to me again in 2007 when our second baby was born, again in 2011 when baby #3 arrived and it's going to happen to me again when baby #4 arrives later this year. Life just doesn't stop. I have found that with each New Year, time seems to fly by faster than the year before. This past year I was greatly encouraged to get back to scrapbooking and also to change my perspective on it. I have even been blessed to be able to start scrapbooking with my own little ones. I love it! So I wanted to take a minute to share with you and hopefully encourage you a little as well, if you need it :)
I realized, through the rediscovery of a great line of scrapbooking products, an evening at Bible study and through the inspiration and encouragement from some friends, how important it is to not only capture the wonderful moments that God gives us, but to document them. Then we can tell our children and future generations about what God has done in our life. A good friend of mine shared with me that she heard that scrapbooking your families life is good for your children’s self esteem. That had a huge impact on me. I want my kids to see that, if I am taking time away from them to go and scrapbook with a girlfriend, I am not leaving them behind. I am taking them with me because I am putting pictures of them in my scrapbooks! They are the main characters of our family’s story and I want them to see how thankful I am that God sweetly and graciously put them in our family. While I certainly don't want to think about this, I know that there will be a day when it's time for me to leave my children on earth and look after them from the view of Heaven. And I hope that by leaving scrapbooks behind for them, they will take comfort in having something that my hands touched, something with my handwriting on it, something from my heart that I put time and effort into. Sorry if that's too morbid :)
Also, I read a GREAT blog about making Ebenezer Stones for our family to cherish (an idea that I absolutely love and want to start doing in our household); you can read about it here. I have recently been blessed with the chance to work on the Bible study, Believing God by Beth Moore. In Session 7 of the videos Beth talks about the vital importance of living lives that are legacies of faith for our families. She references Ebenezer Stones and the beautiful story in Joshua 4 where the Israelites cross the middle of the Jordan on dry land and God tells them to take a stone from the middle of the Jordan and set it up as a monument. Then, when their children ask them what it means. they can testify to what God had done for them. She brings to mind encouraging verses like Deuteronomy 6:4-9:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
And Psalm 77:11-12
I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.
All of that to say; my scrapbooks are like Ebenezer stones for my kids. They are one way to remember His miracles and mighty deeds. I can use the pages to testify of all that God has done for our family. Whether it's a page about a big deal or a normal, every day event. A birthday party or a first day of school, a family member that's gone home to be with the Lord or a day spent taking a trip to the Lego store, a dance recital or a favorite toy, a new baby or our beloved family pet. We must remember that every good and perfect gift comes from above. I have come to believe that part of my job as a Wife and Mother is to document those gifts in a way that can point my kids back to the Lord. So that when they are having a bad day, or a period of time where they are feeling like nothing is going their way and God is nowhere to be found - maybe, just maybe, they'll come across one of the scrapbooks and think "Oh yea, God healed my broken leg....he blessed us with that family trip....he got me through switching to a new school..." and maybe they'll be encouraged and feel like things really will be ok. Or maybe they'll think...."wow, Mom really cared about us. She took the little bits of time she had away from us and spent them putting pictures of us in albums and writing about how much she loves us and how glad she is we're here". Either option is fine with me.
In closing this novel length post and in the spirit of spurring one another on, I wanted to share a few links with you.
The first is to an amazing sight and system of simplified scrapbooking called Project Life. I cannot say enough good things about how easy and user friendly this system of scrapbooking is, and I have just started it! But if it perks your interest in the slightest, do yourself a favor and click through this website, watch the videos and learn about Project Life. Here is the link: Project Life
The second is one that I just discovered by Nancy O'Dell. She has partnered with Creative Memories to create a line that is really pretty. My favorite products are her books, which are on my wish list! She writes about coming from a 4-generation legacy of scrapbookers and the deep impact that had on her and scrapbooking for her kids. She also met with a child psychologist who confirmed that yes, scrapbooking is in fact GREAT for kids self esteem. Check out a great article about her and a link to her things here: Nancy O'Dell
So, if you're a scrapbooker - take heart and chin up! Don't get discouraged feeling behind. Scrap whatever you want to remember the most and work at it whenever you can. You won't regret it! If you're not a scrapbook nerd like myself, that's ok too! Maybe the article on Ebenezer stones is perfect for you or maybe you’ll think of some other fun way to document God's blessings in your life. Either way, I truly believe that we have a responsibility to somehow capture the works God performs in our heart and lives, then share them with our families to help call those things to mind.
Psalm 78:4 - We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD, about his power and his mighty wonders.
No comments:
Post a Comment