Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Club


I LOVE a good book. There is nothing like opening a good book and getting lost in its pages for a while.  Nothing like finishing a great novel, an uplifting story, or a volume that has challenged you to change or be better and then wanting to tell everyone you know about how great the book was. On that note, I have decided to share a little book review of my all time favorite (non-fiction) book - Feathers from my Nest, by Beth Moore.
This book is incredible. I do not have a bad thing to say about it. It is so so so good and encouraging - I can hardly stand it! I've given it as a gift to almost every person I know. Each chapter can stand-alone, you can read them from start to finish or skip around to ones that look interesting to you. Or you can use the chapters individually as a devotional. 
In Feathers from my Nest, Beth Moore gives you little glimpses into her personal life by sharing the lessons she has learned during the course of her time as a wife and mother. This book was written after her children left home for college and Beth would notice little things (the "feathers" left behind in her now empty nest) around her house that would remind her of what God had done in their families life. You wouldn't think that you could read a really challenging devotional about a set of notecards, a binder, a hair brush or a dog....but then you find yourself in the middle of one of the chapters of this book and you are so challenged and encouraged. It's incredible. It totally changed the way I look at my ordinary, day-to-day experiences in life. Suddenly, teaching my son how to ride his first bike was more than just a rite of passage - it was a reminder of how God is always running by our side. A quilt wasn't just a craft project - it was a moment of a certain point in time, an object lesson about how God brings all sorts of little things together in our life to make something beautiful. I began seeing so many "feathers" in our own life and I was so thankful for it, because I would have been so sad to miss them. 
This book challenged me to slow down and see not only the great big things & moments in life - the recitals, first steps, and first words - but to also see that the little things were just as valuable and important. That God was just as much in those moments as well. 
So, if you need a good book to read or you're looking for a good gift to give someone - buy this book! And start looking for all the "feathers" in your own life as well. They're there; we just need to pray that God would grant us the eyes and heart to see them.
Oh, and here's a picture of me with the book's author. Yep, that's me & Bethie! Aside from getting married and the birth of my children, this was a BIG moment for me....but that's a whole post in and of itself :) 


1 comment:

  1. Yay Bethie!!!! You made me want to start this book all over again Crystal! I treasure the copy you bought me!!!

    ReplyDelete